Wed, 29 October 2014
Six Topics: (1) A new way the insurance companies are using clever software to trick 75% of their customers into paying a lot more money than the remaining 25%. (2) Two recently developed vision correction methods which may allow you to throw away your eyeglasses and contact lenses forever. (3) An interactive webpage which allows you to play at zooming into the microscopic world, from viewing a coffee bean to a carbon atom. (4) The free-to-play MMO game WarThunder, which allows you to participate in dogfights with a wide variety of historically accurate airplanes and jet fighters. (5) A little commentary on nootropics--also known as mind enhancing drugs--and the website gwern.net. (6) Thesaurus.com--a handy online tool.
Hosted by Stephen Euin Cobb, this is the October 29, 2014 episode of The Future And You. [Running time: 41 minutes] This monologue was recorded on October 25, 2014.
Stephen Euin Cobb has interviewed over 300 people for his work as an author, futurist, magazine writer and award-winning podcaster. A contributing editor for Space and Time Magazine; he has also been a regular contributor for Robot, H+, Grim Couture and Port Iris magazines; and he spent three years as a columnist and contributing editor for Jim Baen's Universe Magazine. For the last nine years he has produced a weekly podcast, The Future And You, which explores (through interviews, panel discussions and commentary) all the ways the future will be different from today. He is an artist, essayist, game designer, transhumanist, and is on the Advisory Board of The Lifeboat Foundation. Stephen is the author an ebook about the future entitled: Indistinguishable from Magic: Predictions of Revolutionary Future Science.